Friday, June 5, 2015

Red Wine Top

Lost my hook so I had to take a mini break
on this until the hook came out of hiding.


All the scraps from other blankets.
A multitude of different stitches, all combined in a very eclectic fashion.
 Originally this blanket was intended to be the As-We-Go-Stripey Blanket from Hannah over at Not Your Average Crochet, but then as I stitched I at some point lost the printed pattern and just kept stitching in a fashion of stitches that I was comfortable with. I added in some bean stitch, a few extra half double crochet rows, and a row of spike stitch along the way. The blanket is essentially the same design as hers.

On the Catherine Wheel she does emphasize that one must stitch loosely. I just couldn't seem to adjust well enough that everything didn't seem squeezed and misshapen, so I increased my hook size until it was loose enough and then reverted back when I'd completed the Catherine Wheel rows.

I also used a variety of yarns to stitch this blanket. Most is Red Heart Super Saver, but I did use some of Vanna's Choice yarn, Lion Brand Wool, Caron Eco and a few rows of Bernat Baby yarn. These rows however I tried to use primarily within the half double crochet rows, and adjusted the hook size to keep the gauge with the rest of the blanket.
My little one was enjoying it before I could even finish it.